Quick Tips to Feeling Good with Honey – Inside and Out!
Honey is a subject I love. Not only is it good to eat but it is also good to wear as well. A sweeter alternative to sugar, it has become popular with the thought that it is more natural than your regular tea sweetener you use every day. Using honey in your daily diet can have quite a few health benefits:
- It contains trace amounts of several vitamins and minerals
- It is fat free, sodium free and cholesterol free
…though watch out for its calorie content and don’t go drinking a jar of the stuff!
Unusual uses of honey … for your skin
All right, despite being natural and a lovely way to sweeten tea, what else can you do with honey? Well, wear it, of course! Using honey as a face mask moisturises skin and tighten pores. Here is a quick recipe, so give it a go and see if this delicious goo can help you!
Mix one mug of water (reasonable size) with enough honey until the mixture becomes gooey, then simply slather onto your face and relax for twenty minutes. Wash off with warm water and feel your soft and scented skin.
Feeling fruity? Then crush four strawberries, mix with two tablespoons of cream and one tablespoon of honey. Mix and apply to your face (avoiding the eyes) and let yourself relax for twenty minutes before washing the mixture off.
Add four tablespoons of honey to your bath to make the water smell sweet and feel softer.
Look for a natural honey soap to use when you wash your hands. Not only will your skin feel soft but your bathroom will have a sweet smell.
Or if you prefer your honey in rather than out…
Honey is a natural boost of energy and makes a wonderful pick-me-up should you feel yourself flagging. Grab a natural plain yoghurt and add a tablespoon of honey before swirling into a delicious pop of yumminess. It makes a nice treat, and also if you don’t eat it all, apply to your face and leave for fifteen minutes, a perfect soothing face mask.
The glucose in honey will give your body that immediate pick me up whilst the fructose is release more slowly into your system, allowing for a sustained energy drive.
Things you probably didn’t know about honey
- Honey is the only food that includes all the substances that you need to sustain life, including water.
- Honey attracts and absorbs water, so makes it wonderfully soothing for minor burns and even is said to prevent scarring.
- Use lip balm and skin creams? Check the label, it will most likely include honey or beeswax as an ingredient.
- Next time you are out and about and spot a bee, wish it well – bees need to visit over two million flowers to make one pound of honey.
(Photo above by NinaMyers)
The Office Diet has a new post every weekday – don’t miss out! If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to our RSS feed.