Sweet and sour chicken (Hong Kong style)
(Serves two with a bit left over for the sweet and sour chicken pitta.)
- Two medium skinless chicken breasts (260g)
- One small tin of pineapple chunks (227g)
- One red pepper
- One yellow pepper
- One onion
- Jar of sweet and sour stir-fry sauce, eg. Sharwoods (160g)
- Olive oil (1 tsp, 5ml)
- Basmati rice (120g dry weight)
- Chop the peppers into small pieces, and dice the onion. Cut the chicken breasts into chunks.
- Rinse the rice, then add to a pan with enough boiling water to cover it. Set over a medium heat so that it simmers.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or wok, then fry the chicken breast for two to three minutes.
- Add the diced onions and peppers to the pan/wok, and continue frying until softened.
- Add the jar of sweet and sour sauce, and the tin of pineapple chunks (including the juice).
- When the rice is done, drain and serve with the sauce.